Last week, Jason Mendelson came and gave a fantastic talk at Techstars in Boulder on all the things you can do to screw up your company. According to Jason, there are 18 things and most of them are not fixable! I’m including his list below.
If you like content like this – make sure you get your applications in for Techstars – early deadline is April 13th!
Jason’s 18 things that can royally screw your startup…
- Pick a bad team
- Pick a bad idea
- Pick bad advisors
- Be arrogant
- Don’t know your business model
- Don’t understand your competition
- Staff up & hire too quickly ahead of revenue (aka, spend too much!)
- Don’t constantly test your hypothesis
- Don’t stay on top of your PR & press relations
- Overpromise & underdeliver!
- Not paying attention to people’s incentives (this is a really good section, watch the video for details!)
- Screw up your cap table
- Screw up your IP
- Not having defined goals and not knowing how to define success
- Not firing people fast enough
- Not knowing what you can control, and what you can’t.
- Not holding yourself accountable
- Figure you can do the ‘lawyer’ stuff later (hello 83b!!!)